image source: therugbypaper.co.uk
England 7’s a silver medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games. His 7’s legacy pathway assisted 45 players to achieve international honours between 2001-2006. Recently in 2012/13 he masterminded the rise of Kenya 7’s propelling them into the Top 4 in the World, and is currently laying a path for the USA 7’s to the World Series and to qualify for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
In this interview Mike discusses the following:
- How he got into rugby, especially when football in the number one sport in the UK
- Who were the influences in his career
- The process in transitioning from a player to a coach
- The key differences between the English, American and Kenyan rugby talent
- How American high school rugby programs are key to the continual growth of rugby in the US
- What he looks for when identifying young rugby talent
Listen to the full interview and leave us your thoughts in the comments.
Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!
Connect with Mike on Twitter
Do you know any young players that would benefit from Mike’s advice?
Please share this with them!